Wednesday, July 23, 2008

When Athletes Blog --Lauryn Williams

U.S. Track and Field Olympic Trials - Day One

The U.S. Olympic Trials has been take care of and Lauryn Williams has punched her to ticket to Beijing with a third place finish in the 100-meters. This is not the Detroit natives first rodeo. At the 2004 Olympic Games in Sydney, Williams earned a silver medal in the 100-meters.

Lauryn recently took to her WCSN / Universal Sports blog to share with fans, exactly what is going on with her since the U.S. Olympic Trials earlier this month.

So with the trials out the way, I took a much needed exhale and relaxed for a few days … then promptly headed to Europe. I arrived in Lucerne, Switzerland, on July 13 for a race that was on Wednesday. You would think that was plenty of time to adjust to jetlag…wrong!! I don’t know why I have such a hard time shaking it but I do. I ran 11.23s and got 3rd. It is so disappointing after a loss to face the staff that has rolled out the red carpet for you and extended hospitality above and beyond. I know that as a professional athlete, I should be looking at each race as business and just that but I can’t help but feel a certain way about wanting to put on a good performance for the person who had enough confidence in me to invite me to their meet and of course the fans.

Lucerne - which was also my first European race last year - has grown on me quickly and is very near-and-dear to my heart. It is just a small meeting, but they have been creative in making sure that their meeting is unique. Where money is limited, they have all sorts of prizes such as coffee makers, Swiss knives, Swiss watches, and diamond and sapphire stones. They have come up with a way to select the best and 2nd best performer of the meet and they get a diamond and a sapphire respectively. In addition most events have a story (where you usually have to be one of the best to get into European meets), but this is opportunity for those on the line to take a last stab at a qualifying standard. One of the great stories of this year’s meeting was Oscar Pistorius, also known as the blade runner, whose controversy has been quite the news. The crowd was electric as they cheered him on as he made his last attempt of making the Olympic team for his country. Although he came up short it was great to be present as he still made history. His attempt stood for so much more than the actual win or lose.

Back to my emotional attachment with certain meetings, Korea has been the race that has closed out each season since I have become a professional. So you can imagine how distraught I was when I found out it might take place in May this year!! Luckily they thought better of that, but the date fluctuated multiple times. As a result I have scheduled my 25th birthday party to begin the same day as the meet in Korea!!! Those brats on “My super sweet 16” had nothing on my display of emotion at not being able to be in two places at once. How could I justify an October 9th party?! I guess as time goes on things change and you have to able to adapt and move on.

Click here to read Lauryn Williams full WCSN blog.

By Jay Hicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment