Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chanelle Price Named 2008 Gatorade Female Athlete of the Year

Chanelle Price may be one of the greatest in a generation. The University of Tennessee committ, ran a staggering 2:01.61, recording the second-best time in scholastic history at the Prefontaine Classic against a world-class field.

Price is a well-rounded individual. She maintained a 99.28 average in the classroom, placing her in the top 5 percent of her class.

Easton Area High (Easton Area, Pa.) middle-distance runner Chanelle Price captured the 2008 Gatorade Female Athlete of the Year award. She accepted the award from 2003 Gatorade Female Athlete of the Year Allyson Felix, 2004 Gatorade Female Athlete of the Year Candace Parker and two-time Olympic gold medalist Mia Hamm preceding the 2008 ESPY Awards at the Nokia Theatre, where all 12 Gatorade National Player of the Year award-winners will walk the red carpet as special guests.

"They’re putting me up there with the Candace Parkers and the Allyson Felixes, the Lebron James, so I think that’s what, deep inside, I really enjoy," said Price. "That really says something. Now I feel like I have a tradition and a legacy that I have to carry on, so these next few years I know that there are things that I have to achieve – world records, Olympic gold medals that I have to achieve for myself, but that’ll motivate me to uphold the Gatorade tradition."

Justin Timberlake hosted the 2008 ESPY Awards at the NOKIA Theatre LA LIVE in Los Angeles. The show airs Sunday, July 20th on ESPN at 9 pm EST/PST.

By Jay Hicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment